Savudrija is a small fishing village with the oldest lighthouse on the Adriatic, built in 1818. It was already densely populated in Roman times when its harbour was protected by a breakwater. It provided shelter for ships and supplied them with drinking water. Tradition has it that the Venetian navy defeated the forces of Friedrich Barbarossa and Pope Alexander III at Savudrija in 1117. This event was immortalized by Domenico Tintoretto in the Dodge’s Palace.