The Church of the Mother of God na Placu (on the Square) - Gračišće

A Late-Gothic church of the Mother of God, dominating the Square, was built to the right side of the Town Gate by Master Dento in 1425 to the order of the local villager-nobleman Petar Beračić. This fact witnesses that in the Middle Ages there was a privileged class, which had money to build churches, but also profane building such as the Salomon Place. The internal eastern wall of the church is covered over its whole length by a large wall painting depicting the Adoration of the Magi, originating from the same period. Many would ask what the nails driven between the blocks of the external wall of this beautiful church mean. The legend says that over the times, on the Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary, childless women would drive in the nails believing that they would conceive by Devine Mercy.

Chapel of St. Anthony
Next to the Church stands the Chapel of St. Anthony, built by Master Almerigo in 1381 with regularly cut stone blocks. The Chapel was renovated in 1486 by Pascasius, Bishop of Pićan, born at Gračišće.

Email

Praises from abroad to Istria

  • Best Olive Oil Region in the world 2016, 2017 and 2018


  • Istria 52 Places To Go In 2017

  • 10 Best European
    Wine Destinations 2016

  • 10 Best Wine Travel Destinations 2015

  • World's 2nd Best Olive Oil Region 2010 - 2015

  • Top 10 Valentine's Day Retreats 2014

Already receiving significant earned media in outlets such as National Geographic Traveler Huffington Post and mention in notable guidebooks like Lonely Planet, international journalists and tour operators alike continue the praise heaped upon the Istrian peninsula and all it has to offer making it one of the world's top destinations.

Booking