Church of the Holy Cross - Vodnjan
The Church of the Holy Cross lies along the road that leads to Svetvinčenat, just before the roundabout at the beginning of Trgovačka Street. The year of 1468 was inscribed on the church; however it is not clear whether it refers to the year of construction or dedication.
This was the see of the Flagellant Fraternity. Flagellants were a medieval religious heretic sect who ritually scourged themselves at public spaces until bleeding, following similar tortures of Jesus Christ as to convince others that Judgment Day was soon to come and to encourage them to change their behavior. This is where the Pula bishops would stop upon their arrival to Vodnjan. As soon as they dismounted the horse, bishops would join the procession that would pompously lead them into town.