The Communal Palace in Rovinj
The core of the Communal or Town Palace, the site of present-day town administration, dates from the 16th century. During the course of time, the palace was frequently changed, even decreased in size in the 19th century. Its foundations date back to 1308, when it was the Praetorian Palace. The large Town Council Hall, offices and the archives occupied the first floor. The mural painting from 1580 depicting the allegory of the town administration had been somewhat preserved, recently restored and put on the town council walls. In one of its phases, the building was used as a prison, located on the ground floor.
The facade of the town or the communal palace is red, additionally emphasized by a white stone portal, windows and stone plates. The covered walkway through the old town gates was knocked down in 1822. The facade and the atrium were renovated between 1850 and 1860, when a number of Venetian and Rovinj family crests was put up, including the town coat of arms. The facade underwent another renovation in 1935, which has given the palace its present appearance.
How to get there:
It is located in the near vicinity of the central town square - the Square of Marshal Tito. It is reached by passing through the Balbi Arch.
Trg Matteotti 2, HR-52210 Rovinj-Rovigno