Get to know Kringa
Kringa is situated five kilometres southern of Tinjan on the spot of the Iron Age edifice later a Roman fortress, the second largest settlement in the Tinjan municipality. Among the founds from the Earlier Stone Age there are remarkably, almost artistically elaborated idols.Written sources take account of Kringa from 1102 onwards under the name of Curitico or Coriticum. In the Middle Ages it is the constituent part of the Pazin-Pisino principality.
In the central part of the settlement there is the parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul's from 1787 along with the piazza adorned with two rustic stone cisterns and a hackberry (Celtis australis)tree.The notable Istrian priest and community worker Božo Milanović (1890-1980) was born in Kringa. He was also on of the Istrian representatives on the 1946 Paris peace conference, where the Istrian post-war destiny was defined. A memorial stone in his honour was placed on the building where he lived and worked. This fairly small village has other three older churches which can be explored by taking a short circular walk: St. Anna's church from 1558 on the cemetery, St. Catherine's church and St. Anthony the Abbot’s church, along with the rustic Calvary built in 1876. Nowadays Kringa has been more and more notable for Juro Grande, the oldest European vampire and for the unusual events from 1672 related to his character of which Johann Weikard Valvasor took account.