History and Heritage
The area has been inhabited since Prehistoric Period and Roman Empire. The beginnings of Svetvinčenat are related to the monastery of the Benedictine monks from Ravenna at the location of the Church of St. Vincent inside the cemetery where the first smaller settlement grew. The settlement is mentioned in the document written by Ottonall II (983) as the property of the Bishop of Poreč. In the 13th century when the family Castropola from Pula took over the feudal town (1211), the new urban centre became the fortified building where the steward lived. Back in 1325. Svetvinčenat is mentioned as an abbey in the document called Istarski razvod.
After the Castropola family the new owners were the families Morosini, Krotendorf and additionally the Bishop of Poreč. After finishing the restoration works at the castle in 1485 the Morosini family started the transformation of the town into a well organised Renaissance settlement with a square and cistern in the middle, surrounded by the Parish Church, the loggia on one side and other public and residential buildings which are situated nearby. In the 16th century the castle became property of the Grimani di Luca family.